Phosphorus Recovery by Glatt PHOS4green
Waste-free phosphorus recovery from sewage sludge ashes for high-performance fertilizers that comply with the German Fertilizer Ordinance (DüMV) / Regulation EG No. 2019/1009
The Sewage Sludge Ordinance has triggered major changes throughout Germany: Phosphorus recovery is mandatory by law and‚ application of the sludge directly to the soil is no longer permitted. Accordingly, sewage plant operators must review their concepts for sewage sludge disposal and, if necessary, reconsider them. The challenge is to create sustainable solutions that ensure sewage sludge utilization is viable well in to the future.
Other countries have also responded to the global shortage of phosphorus with regulations, and further rules will follow. With viable innovations that close the phosphorus material cycle, Germany can take on a pioneering role in this critical initiative.
With PHOS4green, we have developed an innovative patent-protected process to recover the essential nutrient phosphorus from sewage sludge ashes and use it for new phosphate or compound fertilizers.
Benefit from PHOS4green:
Produce ready-to-use fertilizers from phosphorus recovery from local resources!
Use our PHOS4green process to close the nutrient cycle!
Fulfill the legal obligation to recycle phosphorus economically from sewage sludge!
This distinguishes Glatt technology from other processes:
- Phosphate fertilizers from recycled materials: Production of soil- and plant-available standard fertilizers and customized specialty fertilizers.
- Recipe development adapted to customer requirements and associated customer-specific raw material availability.
- Dust-free, compact, free-flowing granules by means of spray granulation in the fluid bed.
- Premium and consistent fertilizer quality made possible by the ability to influence the suspension formulation and to offset different phosphorus contents of the sewage sludge.
- Fast and safe implementation with well controllable reaction steps.
- Secure raw material supply based on current plans for the construction and operation of new sewage sludge incineration plants
- Suitable for practical use! PHOS4green is available on an industrial scale.
- No waste products! Phosphorus recovery with 100% recycling of the ashes.
- Bio-availability of phosphates! Insoluble phosphates become readily ‘plant-available’ through the reaction with the acid.
- Safe and cost-effective disposal! Decrease costs of treating sewage waste and drive resource efficiency by producing ready to use fertlizers that comply with the German Fertilizer Ordinance (DüMV) and Regulation EG No. 2019/1009.
- Circular value creation! Sewage sludge exploitation. Utilization of domestic phosphorus resources. Ecological closing of the nutrient cycle. Reduction of harmful substances.
- Access to innovative technology! Tried and tested process steps innovatively combined.
- Integrated solution from a single source. Planning of process and logistics. Plant engineering. Implementation.
Glatt Ingenieurtechnik is exhibiting for the first time at IFAT, the world’s leading trade fair for environmental technologies in Munich. The company will showcase its patented PHOS4green technology to recover phosphorus from sewage sludge ash and convert it directly into ready-to-use phosphate or compound fertilizers. On booth A4.509, visitors will be able to learn more about this innovative approach that’s already being successfully used at an industrial scale.
Production starts at first German PHOS4green plant for recycled fertilizers. Residue-free production of ready-to-use fertilizer from phosphate-containing sewage sludge ash is now possible, thanks to plant manufacturer and process expert Glatt Ingenieurtechnik, and fertilizer specialist Seraplant. The official commissioning on May 31, 2021, was attended by Prof Dr Armin Willingmann, Saxony-Anhalt’s Minister for Economics, Science and Digitalization.